United Kingdom

What you need to know when moving to UK?

Yay, so I did get the job from Northumbria University, so now you can call me Entrepreneurial Learning Support Officer, how cool is that! It took many long months to get to this point but it did payed off in the end so sometimes you just have to be patient and trust the process!

So I got the job now, but because I am not from UK and I haven’t earlier worked in UK officially I have to get myself into the registers like example I have to get National Insurance (NI) number to be able to work in here, also it’s important to open an British Bank Account so I am able to get paid and get myself signed into the local National Health Service (NHS).

So I applied for the National Insurance number and I got it already few months ago (wanted to be prepared if I would get the job), now it was time to sign the contract with the University. But I could not sign it before I would have my banking details which they needed to get me into the payroll system, so next I went to the Bank to open an account. Banks need and official proof about your address, apparently my house rental agreement wasn’t enough for that, but when I would get my Pay As You Earn (PAYE) Tax Coding letter I could open the Bank Account with that. Ok, so next I called to HM Revenue and Customs and asked about my PAYE Tax Coding letter. They told me that for some reason my National Insurance number has not registered for them yet, so they couldn’t do anything before that. After calling them again later they suggested that I would call to the people behind my National Insurance number. Well I did call them and they told that I just need to confirm my NI with this CA5403 form which I can print out from their website, to fill it in and send to them by post and after that they can give my NI number to others, and I just really wonder how come they had not mentioned that anywhere before.

So at the moment I am just waiting again to hear when they have received my filled CA5403 form and if PAYE will get confirmation about my information and if they will send me that Tax Coding letter so I can open the Bank Account and finally sign my contract with the University. How great it is to move into a new country? 😀

I also registered myself into National Health Service (NHS) which was almost too easy, as I just filled few papers, confirmed my address with the house rental agreement (same one which wasn’t enough for the bank) and that’s it. So they promised to contact me in one week after they have got me into the system and after that I can book appointments when ever I want, great, 10 points for NHS!

But in other hand even though it’s not always that simple or if everything does not make sense this is still quite fascinating too, I am learning so much about the British systems as it’s definitely a bit different than Finnish one, so if you are Finnish and moving to UK I am more than happy to help with any questions! 😀

Finland to UK




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s